It’s important to have a space, no matter how small, designated to writing. Mine isn’t much — a desk in my bedroom — but it is my space that nobody else touches. Everyone’s needs are different, but these are the basic essentials I keep at hand when I write.
- Pictures- I like pictures, I have them everywhere, so naturally they’re on my desk too.
- Caffeine- We all know caffeine, in whatever form, is a writer’s lifeblood.
- Books- When I’m feeling blocked, I read. It helps grease the wheels and get me back on track.
- Kiddo Cup- Well, obviously if you don’t have kiddo’s you wouldn’t need this. But it keeps him outta my hair.
- Computer- Duh.
- Kiddo Stuff- Again, keeps him out of my hair.
- Baby Monitor- So you can kick the kids OUT.
- Note Pads- For scribbling ideas, outlines, whatever.
- Conference Funds- Like my pretty jar? I’m a visual saver. With it staring at me every day, I feed it much more frequently to make it stop yelling at me. Plus it’s a little additional motivation to work harder and longer to be ready for the next conference.
- Calendar- You can’t see mine here, but it’s hanging on the wall. Write firm deadlines on your calendar to keep you motivated!
And that, my lovelies, is my writing space! Is there anything I don’t have in my space that you have in yours?
And an essential for my writing space on any Tipsy Tuesday would be a glass of Moscato wine, my favorite. It’s light, sweet, and only slightly bubbly. Mmmm. Make sure it is nice and cold before you pop the cork. A delightful treat.
But, make sure it’s Italian. Domestic Moscato just isn’t the same.